Hallo and welcome to week number two of the vegan month of food 2014! 😉
I don’t know what it’s like in the place where you live, but around here in Amsterdam so-called salad bars are popping out of the ground like mushrooms. When you scroll through instagram posts of food bloggers you come across a considerable amount of pictures showing people’s lunch/dinner salads (next to an even bigger number of pictures with banana-ice cream creations…). It seems as if salads are very popular in the food-world, at the moment. 😉
Don’t get me wrong, I like salads too! They definetly form a substantial part of my diet. I could eat salads anytime and I eat large amounts of them. Though by salads, I do not mean these side dish-salads consisting of a few leafs of lettuce, tomato slices and cucumber. My saladas are usually a bit more “substantial”, since they form a whole meal for me.
Lately I’ve been trying to combine more whole grains and legumes in my salads, because they make for delicious combinations and leave me satiated for a few hours, without having this feeling of being totally stuffed. Aaaand they form a great canvas for other salad ingredients.
So, long story short: Today’s salad is a quinoa salad with runner beans, oven-roasted summer vegetables and a faux feta, because all these “hip” salad creations always seem to have a little feta or chèvre cheese sprinkled on top… 😉
By the way, the faux recipe I used and post a bit further down is from Terry Hope Romero’s “Vegan Eats World“.
For the salad you’ll need:
1/2 cup quinoa
a handful of runner beans (DE=Stangenbohnen, NL=Snijbonen)
an assortment of summer (seasonal) vegetables – I used zucchini, carrots, sweet potato, tomatoes, eggplant and red onion
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried cumin
a pinch or two of harissa spices
some olive oil (extra virgin if possible)
a little lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
some flat-leaf parsley or other fresh herbs, that you like in a salad
For the faux feta you’ll need:
1/2 cup cashew nut pieces (soaked in water with 1/2 teaspoon salt for at least 2 hours or even overnight)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried dill
What to do:
(1) rinse and drain the cashews. Chop them up finely (I used a “herb chopper” from IKEA that I still had in my kitchen cabinet)
(2) mix the cashew pieces with all the other ingredients and let it stand at room temperature until the rest of the salad is done.
For the salad:
(1) rinse and drain the quinoa. place it in a pot with 1 cup of water. Bring it to a boil, then lower the heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. done. 😉
(2) clean the vegetables and cut them into bite-sized pieces. Place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. drizzle with a little olive oil, salt and the herbs and toss to coat. bake in the oven at 200°C for about 25 minutes.
(3) rinse the beans and cut them aswell into bite-sized pieces. I like to steam them in a steam basket for about 10 minutes, but you can simply cook them in a pot with a little water at the bottom, aswell.
(4) when all the cooking, steaming and baking is done: simply throw all salad ingredients together in a big bowl, season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil and toss in some fresh herbs.
Serve with some faux feta sprinkled on top and a little extra avocado, if you feel like it 🙂
Onto the next week of Vegan MoFo 2014! I hope you liked it so far!