Good evening people!
Today I wanna share a recipe with you for a light vegetable soup which has its origin in the French département Vaucluse, which is in southern France. Since it’s called “Soupe du Barroux”, I guess it comes from the town of Barroux. The soup is a very simple vegetable soup. It’s easy and fast to prepare (and if your using a food processor for the veggies you have your dinner in no time). It is also a nicely light soup which could even be enjoyed (as a starter) on a warm summer night. But as it is officially fall already and the days are getting colder and shorter, I can assure you this soup is also great to warm you up and feed you after a normal working day.
3-4 spring onions
2-3 cloves of garlic
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 (small) parsley roots or 1/2 a small celeriac
2 medium-sized zucchini
1 1/2 liters water or vegetable broth
5-6 tablespoons fresh basil, finely shredded
2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely shredded
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
As I already mentioned, this soup is very easy and quickly to prepare and therefore makes a perfect weeknight meal. All you have to do is:
1) finely slice your spring onions and peel your garlic
2) peel or just clean your carrots and parsley roots and roughly grate them. Grate your zucchini aswell
3) Heat the olive oil in a stockpot and gently sauté the springonions. When the onions have softened use a garlic press to press the garlic into the oil and add the dried thyme (if using). Sauté for another minute.
4) add first your carrots and sauté them for a few minutes, then add your parsley root, sauté for another two minutes and finish with your zucchini. Stir often during this process and be careful to not burn your veggies. Once all the veggies are heated, deglaze the pan, by adding the vegetable broth. Bring the soup to a boil, but then lower the heat to a simmer. Let the soup simmer for about 5 minutes. (as the veggies are grated, they won’t need much time to cook, but adjust the cooking time to your liking. If you prefer your veggies very soft, let the soup simmer for 15 minutes).
5) you can either cook the vermicelli in the soup or in an extra pot. If you wanna cook them in the soup, now is the time to add them to the pot. Cook the soup until the vermicelli are done.
6) finish off by adding the fresh herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
you can serve the soup with some bread on the side.